About Our Fellowship Program
Daughters for Life has partnerships with leading medical centers with whom we have developed our fellowship program. In conjunction with our partners, we are able to assist deserving female students from the Middle East to develop their disciplinary horizons.
Our recipients are those who are in the most need financially. They are chosen on the basis of their excellent academic performance in the face of adversity and have a demonstrable ability to make an outstanding contribution to improving the lives of girls and young women. The objective of our program is to broaden the fellow’s understanding of the host country and encourage them to return and make a lasting contribution in their own communities.
APPLICATION FOR THIS PROGRAM IS CLOSED
There are some criteria you must meet to be eligible to apply for a DFL fellowship:
- a citizen and resident of the Middle East, and
- living in financial hardship
We will review all applications based on set selection criteria:
- Achieving success despite having to overcome significant hardship or adversity.
- Facing financial challenges/difficulty.
- Evidence of outstanding contribution to improving the lives of others, through extra-curricular activities, work or volunteer experiences at her university or in her community.
- Compassion and creativity assessed in the interview
- Specialty – Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship
- Length of placement – 1 year
Have completed her MD or equivalent degree in a medical school that is recognized by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Applicants interested in the fellowships should apply directly to Daughters for Life. You will need to complete a Daughters for Life application form and email with the following documentation to email@example.com:
- a CV which includes your date of birth, citizenship and e-mail address
- 3 letters of recommendation on letterhead, signed and dated within two years of the date of application
- a copy of the medical degree (with certified English translation, where necessary)
- a copy of the specialty certification (with certified English translation, where necessary)
- All documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as detailed above.
- Applications must be sent by email in PDF format to email@example.com
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Only certified literal English translations of transcripts are accepted
Meet Our Fellows
Four Palestinian women students took part in the Daughters for Life Delegation to the 2013 EPIIC symposium on Global Health at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts.
The symposium was organized by the Tufts Initiative for International Leadership and Perspective (TILIP) Program from February 19-25, 2013.
Asmaa worked at the Khan Younis UNRWA Clinic and volunteered her services to a number of projects including the Kids Cancer Project, Breast Cancer Awareness and First Aid Services. Asmaa plans to complete her postgraduate studies in Public Health.
Deema El Sousi
Deema El Sousi is a student in the Faculty of Business Administration at Al Azhar University in Gaza.
Deema’s interest in global health issues results from her volunteer activities with Mercy Corps. She participated as a youth leader in their emergency relief efforts in Gaza to help communities recover and build resilience for future challenges.
Majd Al Wahaidi
Majd Al Wahaidi is a student in the Faculty of Business Administration at Al Azhar University in Gaza.
The daughter of a practicing family doctor in Gaza, Majd volunteers her services to a number of community-based medical clinics in Gaza, where she witnesses the lived links between water pollution and the deterioration of public health.
Saja Abu Sultan
Saja Abu Sultan is a student in the Faculty of Dentistry at Al Azhar University in Gaza.
Saja volunteers her time in a number of schools in Gaza where she coordinates oral health awareness programs. For Saja, poverty is a risk factor related to nutrition, water, sanitation, and a healthy immune system and it has a clear impact on oral health.alth.
Many factors in the Middle East can make education for young women very difficult. But with your donation, we can help many talented women, access the best education possible. We believe that investing in young women’s education is the key to long lasting peace and better future for all of us.